Sunday, December 7, 2008

Access denied

Today, in this hot climate, I and my fellow art class peers, followed our teacher to the sex education class. Now, technically this was for the yr 9 students, but we wanted to go and... well basically watch them squirm! (sadistic I know). Anyway whilst I was in there, I began wondering why we hadn't had one of these Sex ed talks. It turns out that because we're in a Catholic school, we were not (until recently) allowed to hear about contraception devises etc. I understand that the Catholic Church is against contraception & sex before marriage... but seriously, I think they would be a bit naive to consider that most teenagers wait until they're married to have sex. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I just think if teenagers are going to have sex, they need to be equipped mentally. A lot of the time, people get into complicated situations at a really young age. One could almost say, sex at young ages is becoming 'normal' sadly. But not teaching kids how to be responsible and safe in sex, what is that saying? They want girls at 14 to get pregnant? They don't want them to have options? HIV/AIDS, herpes, hepatitis B aren't uncommon. I just think teenagers need to be educated to make the right decisions for them. I don't think religion should blind someone to their options.

1 comment:

  1. I'm happy we don't have such subject at school))There are too much unusfull subjects.Sometimes I even don't realise what i'm doing at school.really?

    ReplyDelete